- First Solar, Inc. (FSLR): Q4 EPS of $0.89 misses by $0.10.
- Revenue of $768M (-28.9% Y/Y) misses by $197.38M.
- In addition to missing Q4 estimates, First Solar (FSLR) is guiding for Q1 revenue of $800M-$900M and EPS of $0.50-$0.60, largely below a consensus of $898.3M and $0.84. Operating cash flow is expected to be in a range of -$300M to -$400M. No full-year guidance has been given.
- 443.7MW of solar modules were produced, +4% Q/Q and -13% Y/Y. Conversion efficiency +10 bps Q/Q and +50 bps Y/Y to 13.4%, cost/watt fell by $0.03 Q/Q and $0.12 Y/Y to $0.56.
- Gross margin -420 bps Q/Q and -270 bps Y/Y to 24.6%. SG&A spend +4% Y/Y to $65.7M, R&D +22% to $38.4M. Free cash flow was $137M, down from $284M in Q3 and $253M a year ago.
- Expected future module shipments were at 2.7GW at the end of Q4, flat Q/Q and up 100MW Y/Y. Expected future systems/module revenue was at $7.5B, down $300M Q/Q and $500M Y/Y. But potential opportunities rose to 10.6GW from 7.7GW.
- CC at 4:30PM ET. Q4 results, PR, datasheet, slides.
Solar Stocks List
Solar Pure Plays:
•SunPower Corporation (Nasdaq: SPWR)
•First Solar Inc. (Nasdaq: FSLR)
•Evergreen Solar (Nasdaq: ESLR)
•SunTech Power Holdings (NYSE: STP)
•Trina Solar (NYSE: TSL)
•Solarfun Power Holdings (Nasdaq: SOLF)
•Canadian Solar Inc. (Nasdaq: CSIQ)
•JA Solar Holdings (Nasdaq: JASO)
•China Sunergy (Nasdaq: CSUN)
•LDK Solar (NYSE: LDK)
•ReneSola Ltd. (NYSE: SOL)
Smaller companies with Solar exposure:
•Hoku Scientific (Nasdaq: HOKU)
•Daystar Technologies (Nasdaq: DSTI)
•Spire Corporation (Nasdaq: SPIR)
Solar Energy ETFs:
•Market Vectors Solar Energy ETF (KWT)
•Claymore/MAC Global Solar Energy (TAN)
Bigger companies with Solar exposure:
•MEMC Electronics (NYSE: WFR)
•General Electric Co. (NYSE: GE)
•Boeing Co. (NYSE: BA)
•British Petroleum (NYSE: BP)
•Royal Dutch Shell (NYSE: RDS-B)
•Kyocera (NYSE: KYO)
•Applied Materials (Nasdaq: AMAT)
For the latest updates on the stock market, visit,